Historic Place Category 2
Pt Lot 14 DP 4679 (CT CB24B/738), Canterbury Land District
Extent of Registration
Extent includes the land described as Pt Lot 14 DP 4679 (CT CB24B/738), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Green Hayes thereon, and its fixtures and fittings.
Green Hayes was built by pastoralist John Hayhurst in 1881-2, and was one of the first houses in South Canterbury to have electricity. Originally from Preston in Lancashire, Hayhurst emigrated to Australia in 1844 aged 16. Within a few years he had arrived in New Zealand, working first in the North Island, but settling in Canterbury in 1849 - before planned settlement of the province commenced. After a period spent working in a smithy in Market Square, Christchurch, Hayhurst was engaged by Sir Thomas Tancred (from whom he later leased Ashburton Station), and embarked on a career in pastoralism. Other runs with which he was associated included Simons Pass and Grey Hills.
Through the exercise of great judgement Hayhurst profited sufficiently from his speculations to become a substantial runholder. In 1903, the Green Hayes estate consisted of 4,800 acres divided into 30 tenanted farms. Hayhurst also owned the principal business block in Temuka. He was very active in public life, serving both in local and provincial government. He was not to enjoy his fine new house for long however, for he died in 1890 aged 62.
From 1886, the general management of the estate was in the hands of his son John Turnbull Murray Hayhurst, who later served in the Boer War. Colonel J.T.M. Hayhurst died in 1915, and his wife Amelia moved into nearby Ashfield - supposedly taking the marble fireplaces with her. A similar house to Green Hayes, Ashfield had been Mrs Hayhurst's father's home. In 1916/17 the family sold the property to the Salvation Army, and Green Hayes subsequently became the Bramwell Booth Home for Boys. Until 1938 the property also accommodated the Watts-Lowry School, named for a generous donor. Thereafter, the boys attended the Temuka School. Today the property serves as a home for children of both sexes.
Green Hayes has historical significance as the former home of substantial Temuka landowners, the Hayhurst family; and historical and social significance as the site of a Salvation Army children's home for over 85 years.
The house is of architectural interest as a fine example of the substantia homes built by notable landowners at this time.
Summary of Assessed Criteria
(a) In its institutional capacity, the house also represents the changing use of many large houses in the twentieth century, and the central role of the Salvation Army in welfare provision.
(e) The house has acquired community esteem, particularly for the generations of children who have grown up there.
(j) because of its former role, unusual in a New Zealand context, as the 'manor house' of a large landed estate farmed by multiple tenant farmers.
A substantial square two-storey concrete Italianate villa, with a verandah wrapping around three sides. An elaborate bay projects from the centre of the front façade. Initially this served as an open support for a first floor balcony, but was closed in around 1900 to provide a foyer for the original front door. The balcony and balustrade were later removed, and a gabled roof fitted. A modern wing projects from the side of the building.
- Original Construction: 1881 (circa) - 1882 (circa)
- Modification: 1900
- Modification: 1977 (circa)
- Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol. 3, Canterbury Provincial District, Christchurch, 1903,pp. 908-910.
- P. Kerr, From the beginning : chronicles of a county, Timaru, 1976
- R Pinney, Early South Canterbury Runs, Wellington, 1971
- The Press,Historic Reflections 29/11/2003
A fully referenced version of this report is available from the NZHPT Southern Region Office.
Report Written By
this page is correct to the best of the Trust's knowledge. If you have any additional
information you would like to share with the Trust, please
contact the Registrar.
You may wish to contact the Trust to view our paper records.